Cím: H-5100 Jászberény, Rákóczi út 53. Tel.: +36 57 / 502 400

History of Campu

Utolsó módosítás: 2019. szeptember 17.

The predecessor institution of Jászberény Campus, the Hungarian Royal Teacher Training Institute was founded on 11th October 1917.

In accordance with the decree signed by Count Albert Apponyi, Minister of Religion and Education, the Teacher Training Institute of Jászberény was the fourth one to open its gates during World War I. The initial profile of the institute now celebrating the centenary of its foundation was to bring up generations of lower primary school teachers, who not only did teach but educated their pupils and enabled them as well to create and develop culture in their residential area.

In the history of the Institute there have been crises and success stories, which strengthening one another have led to teacher training being raised to higher educational level, the institute first becoming a College of Education and recently having become a acampus of Eszterházy Károly University that provides full scale of degrees from BA to PhD.
During the years of Klebersberg Kuno's cultural policy (1922-1931) teacher training gained such a social function which required its conscious participation in the nation's cultural emergence. The teachers trained during the five-year baccalaureate course based on their knowledge gained in the fields of theory and practice were able to educate generations fitter for national work.

In the period from 1932 to 1942, it was declared that teacher training as one belonging to secondary level, without it being raised onto secondary grammar school level, lyceum training was introduced, which ended with GCSE exams, its curriculum including pre-studies that led motivated students to teacher training. According to the original plans a two-year academy training would have offered professional training.

Lyceum training started in Jászberény in 1939 but World War II prevented the building up of academy training.
In the coalition years between 1945 -1948 the intentions were to transform teacher training in Hungary along the lines of the Soviet model that is to foster universal teacher training colleges which would have incorporated lower primary teacher training, but this aim was never realised in Jászberény

In September 1949 a new training was introduced, the so called pedagogy high school for one and only group of students, providing a training closing with GCSE and certification exams in 1953. The four-year-long training proved insufficient for providing general knowledge as well as professional training so in 1950 the secondary level four-year-long teacher-training vocational school was introduced. It ended with GCSE exams and the training was completed by a year of professional practice at the end of which the students took their certification examination.

The ideology emerging in the first decades of socialism interpreted the social role of teachers as repository of the educators of the Hungarian youth. Accordingly in September 1959 the first academic year of post-secondary teacher training was opened.

The high scale expansion of higher education did not escape teacher training in the seventies. Following the example of industrial vocational training post-secondary teacher training institutes became teacher training colleges. Students starting their studies in 1975 got college degree at the end of their three-year training. The three-year program was increased to four years in 1994 partly because of the increase in the number of hours of practical training, partly due to the introduction of pairing lower primary teaching with subject specialisation.

The introduction of the new teacher-adult educator, and teacher- librarian specialisations prepared the launch of such new trainings such as Andragogy, Information Science-Library, Social Pedagogy and Social work.

In 2000 the college integrated into the structure of Szent István University as an independent faculty. The broader spectrum of training was expressed by the new name of the faculty after 2006. Till 2011 it functioned under the name of Faculty of Applied Arts till the fusion with the Faculty of Pedagogy of Szarvas within Szent István University.

After the fusion under the name of Faculty of Applied Arts and Pedagogy it continued its activity in the field of teacher training, social sciences and humanities. The name of the campus was retained after the secession of Szarvas Campus.

Since 1st July 2016 within the newly formed Eszterházy Károly University the campus has been carrying out its professional activities in training Infant and Early Childhood Educators, Pre-school teachers, Teachers, Librarians, and Social workers.


< Vissza